Rust in Production: An Interview with Armin RonacherPosted Tue, 17 Sep 2019 18:00:00 +0000Discussion on RedditEpisode Transcript
Armin Ronacher talks about getting into Rust, when to use it, writing Rust extensions for Python, building the Symbolicator web application with actix, creating debugging libraries, and the Rust ecosystem.
Get in touch with us if you’d like to be interviewed, propose a topic, or help out!
- Twitter: @rustaceanfm
- Discord: Rustacean Station
- Github: @rustacean-station
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timestamps & referenced resources
- [@01:16] - What got you interested in Rust?
- [@02:58] - Abstraction with good performance in Rust vs Python
- [@04:50] - Rust doesn’t need asynchronous code
- [@06:10] - Building thread safe applications
- [@07:05] - What excited you about using Rust?
- [@08:59] - Sentry
- [@11:41] - Introducing Rust to Sentry
- [@13:49] - Anything easier to write in Rust vs Python?
- [@16:53] - Writing extensions vs writing services
- [@20:01] - Flow of sending a minidump to Symbolicator
- [@22:35] - Symbolicator makes sense as a service
- [@24:05] - Building a better debugging world
- [@25:12] - More things symbolicator does
- [@26:06] - What’s Milksnake
- [@28:43] - Other ways to embed Rust in Python
- [@30:47] - Why use Actix for Symbolicator?
- [@35:23] - Is it too early to write web applications?
- [@38:09] - What would you do differently in hindsight?
- [@42:59] - Don’t want a Django or Rails
- [@44:37] - When to write a web application?
- [@48:13] - What do you wish existed in Rust?
- [@50:36] - Game backends
- [@52:23] - Anything else?
- [@54:05] - Why companies aren’t using Rust for web development
- [@54:52] - Why async/await is not the only blocker for web development
- [@57:22] - Resources for web development in Rust
- [@59:03] - Wrap Up
Intro Theme: Aerocity
Hosting Infrastructure: Jon Gjengset
Show Notes: Jeremy Jung
Host: Jeremy Jung