Bootstrapping Rust with Albert LarsanPosted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:08:00 +0000
Allen Wyma talks with Albert Larsan about his work on bootstrapping the Rust compiler.
Contributing to Rustacean Station
Rustacean Station is a community project; get in touch with us if you’d like to suggest an idea for an episode or offer your services as a host or audio editor!
- Twitter: @rustaceanfm
- Discord: Rustacean Station
- Github: @rustacean-station
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- [@0:00] - Introduction to Bootstrap
- [@1:57] - Building the standard library and compiler.
- [@5:34] - The biggest challenges when bootstrapping
rustc(the Rust compiler)
- [@11:26] - Why use Python to start the bootstrapping process?
- [@13:08] - Running tests as part of the Rust CI to ensure that each component is well-tested.
- [@15:07] - Running tests on Linux, MacOS, and Windows
- [@18:54] - Features that the Rust bootstrap team has been working on.
- [@20:50] - Plans to run Clippy and fix issues.
- [@23:41] - Stage redesign, verification, reproducibility, and different optimizations implemented in the compiler.
- [@27:28] - Albert’s advice on the process of bootstrapping Rust.
- [@31:05] - The importance of documentation
- [@31:49] - Parting thoughts
Intro Theme: Aerocity
Audio Editing: Plangora
Hosting Infrastructure: Jon Gjengset
Show Notes: Plangora
Hosts: Allen Wyma